Deciding what to wear to a funeral can be overwhelming, given that you’re already going through a difficult time as it is. To make things easier, this post outlines some general rules for men and women. You can also read our guide on What to Bring to a Funeral Service.
What to wear to a funeral
First things first, the dress code of a funeral depends on the preferences of those arranging it. People closest to the person who has passed away may request that people wear their favourite colour or just something colourful to make the event less sombre.
If this is the case, you should follow the guidelines below using a colour other than black. However, if no dress code is mentioned, then black is the traditional colour of choice – although other dark, neutral tones like grey and navy are acceptable.
Read more: What to Wear for a Funeral in Summer
What to wear for women
Colours aside, it’s important that your outfit choice for a funeral is conservative and respectful. Here are some tips:
- Dresses and skirts should be knee-length rather than revealing
- Dark trousers are also acceptable with a white blouse
- Wear smart, comfortable shoes
- Keep accessories like jewellery to a minimum
- Make sure makeup is muted
Funeral dress code for men
While men don’t have to stress about makeup or skirt length, there are still some important unspoken rules:
- A full suit is the traditional choice for men to wear at a funeral. You can remove the jacket if it’s too warm.
- Wear a long-sleeve shirt and make sure it’s ironed
- Choose an appropriate dark, neutral colour for your tie
- Wear smart black shoes and polish them beforehand
Need any more help?
If you have any more questions about what to wear or any other aspect of the funeral process, our Bristol funeral directors are on hand to help. We offer a full range of funeral services and packages to meet your needs, with gentle care and support every step of the way.
To find out more or discuss your requirements, call us on 0117 956 4796.
- 5 Books to Support Your Child Through GriefGrief is a profound and complex experience, especially for children. Books can be a gentle and effective way to help these young minds understand and cope with the loss of… Read more: 5 Books to Support Your Child Through Grief
- How Can I Make a Funeral Unique?If you’re planning a funeral for a loved one, it may be just as important to celebrate them as it is to remember them. One of the best ways to… Read more: How Can I Make a Funeral Unique?
- What Is a Eulogy and How Do I Write One?A eulogy is the formal name for a speech given to commemorate an individual’s life. Eulogies are typically delivered at funerals or memorial services and are often given by a… Read more: What Is a Eulogy and How Do I Write One?